You are posting a comment about...
The Importance of Curb Appeal in Brentwood, Tenn.
Don’t let that buyer drive away!
Perspective buyers often get their first impression of your home from an online photo or driving through desirable neighborhoods. Not only here in Brentwood, Tenn., but also nationally, 90 percent of home buyers searched online during their home buying process, according to the National Association of Realtors®. What buyers see on the outside is a large factor in whether or not they desire to see the inside. It affects the perceived value of your home and can drastically hurt your home's chances of being shown. Don’t become complacent and think that buyers have the vision needed to see your house in its best light if it needs major TLC. Also keep in mind that many of the people who say they would consider a fixer-upper quickly change their minds when real-life estimates for repairs are recognized.
Now that autumn leaves are starting to fall, here are some things to keep in mind:
Curb Appeal Do’s:
- Siding & Trim – Eliminate any mold or fungus growing on siding or trim by thoroughly washing with a power washer.
- Trim & Windows – Scrape, sand, and paint any pealing paint.
- Gutters – Repair fallen gutters and clean out all leaves and limbs.
- Chimney & Roof – Inspect and repair both to ensure there are no trouble spots with missing shingles or loose mortar in the bricks. Serious problems give buyers more negotiating power.
- Front Door – Make it look inviting with a fresh coat of paint and updated hardware.
- Lighting – Check all exterior lights and replace bulbs. Go a step further and add landscaping lighting to highlight flower beds, trees, and architecture.
- Mailbox – Changing the mailbox from a deteriorated, wobbly, or faded box dramatically improves the appearance and can cost as little as $40 – $50.
- Storage Building(s) – Clean it up, toss out the trash, and show off to buyers what an asset it is to the property.
- Outdoor Features – Proper maintenance of pools and outdoor living spaces ease the buyer’s mind that they aren’t walking into a potential hidden repair nightmare.
- Garage Doors – Do all maintenance early, and clean and repair any broken glass.
- Trees, Bushes, & Flower Beds – Keeping everything trimmed and neat is key, but you can really draw in the views of your home if you take it up a notch with the best fall plants. I'll go in-depth on options and tips for your yard in the next post, so check it out!